This is a recipe that uses a Dutch Oven, it could be modified for a Crockpot, but I’m not sure how the timing would work out.
- Serves 4-6
- Cook time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
The recipe takes quite a few ingredients including beer so get ready for a hearty meal.
- 2 lbs of Stew beef, chuck preferably
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 large carrots
- 3 medium white potatoes (skinning optional) chopped into 1” chunks
- One large onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
- 11oz of Imperial Porter Beer (a smoky malt is the best)
- 5oz of Jim Quessenberry’s Sauce Beautiful
- 2 Tablespoons of Grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- Ground sea salt, ground pepper, seasoning salt, smoked paprika to taste
- Put the dutch oven on a medium burner with the grapeseed oil.
- When the oil is rippling put in the stew beef and turn until evenly browned, add the garlic and flour in halfway through this process.
- Dump the Carrots, Potatoes and Onion in the dutch oven, add salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add Imperial stout, careful it may froth up.
- Add Sauce Beautiful
- Cover and let sit for 15 minutes or until simmering. Turn on oven to 350°
- Set dutch oven on a middle rack for 20 minutes.
- When 20 minutes is up check on stew, if it is not thickening enough, cook for the last remaining 20 minutes uncovered.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Serve in a bowl with a glass of the same porter beer and a hunk of hearty bread to sop up the broth.